MATTE PAINTER - VAN
Follow us on LinkedIn for job board updates.
Reporting to the Matte Painting Supervisor, the Matte Painter creates photorealistic 2D and 3D matte paintings of subject matter to be used as an element to either embellish or replace live action footage in feature films.
- Create photorealistic paintings and elements that match concept and style using 3D and 2D tools and techniques including camera setup, modeling for projection, camera animation, projection setup, image re-projection, and atmospherics and light passes
- Provide or acquire photographic reference materials
- Combine photographic, paint, and 3d assets to conceptualize, create and design environments using techniques such as camera animation, image projection, layering, and lighting
- Perform tasks related to integrating imagery into shots, preserving a unified sense of lighting, perspective, and color
- Combine painting skills in animation software, with a knowledge of photography, practical and digital modeling, and design, to create 2D and 3D paintings
- Work closely with the VFX Supervisors to determine best methods to complete work in timely manner and ensure that plates meet planned concept design requirements
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience as a Digital Matte Painter for live action “realistic” feature films (required)
- Expert knowledge of Photoshop, Maya and Nuke (required)
- Experience/Working knowledge of Mari, Modelling, Composting (preferred)
- Advanced knowledge of matte-painting techniques and/or technical experience in photography/lighting with an emphasis on colour and composition; traditional paint background an asset
- Ideal candidate must be able to multitask, be self-motivated, proactive, and manage all aspects on an environment and sequence level
- Responsive to guidance and review notes from creative and technical leadership – able to apply feedback to achieve the required look
- Team player and able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong trouble shooting/problem solving skills
Ability to work OT, flexible hours, on call
HOW TO MAKE YOUR APPLICATION STAND OUT
- APPLY ONLY ONCE.
We keep your resume on file for 6 months so no need to apply again unless there are significant changes or unless you're applying for a different position.
- ALWAYS APPLY WITH THE SAME EMAIL
We want to be able to reach you easily and much of our correspondence is via email and this helps us keep your information together in one file. That way you're not lost in the system.
- Resume - Include in your resume the names of the company's you worked with and the dates you were there. Max 2 pages.
- Cover Letter - tell us a little about yourself and what makes you the ideal candidate.
- Reel Breakdown - demonstrates what you did on each shot and the tools used - Go ahead! Show off your talent/skills here.