MODELER - GENERAL - VAN
Celebrating over 25 years in the industry, Scanline VFX specializes in creating complex visual effects for high end, block buster feature films with studios worldwide: Vancouver, Los Angeles, Munich, and Stuttgart. Founded in Germany, the company expanded to Los Angeles in 2007 and opened the largest studio in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia in 2011. In 2015 it won the Emmy for Outstanding Visual Effects for their work on Game of Thrones. Scanline VFX has received multiple Academy Award Nominations for Best Achievement in Visual Effects: 2014 for Iron Man 3 and in 2010 for its work on director Clint Eastwoods Hereafter. We are also well known for our proprietary, in-house fluid effects software Flowline, for which it received a 2008 Scientific and Technical Achievement Academy Award.
Today, it is one of the biggest names in the industry and the go-to studio for creating epic, breathtaking cinematic moments. Current productions include: Justice League: Part 2, Meg, Black Panther, Tomb Raider, Aquaman, and several other projects to be announced soon.
Recent projects include Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, Power Rangers, The Promise, Batman vs Superman: Independence Day Resurgence, Ben Hur, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Dawn of Justice, Game of Thrones, Furious 7, San Andreas, The 5th Wave, Point Break, Hateful 8, and In the Heart of the Sea. Past films include Exodus, The Hunger Games Mockingjay, 300: Rise of an Empire, Captain America: Winter Soldier, White House Down, Godzilla, The Wolf of Wall Street, Snowpiercer, Journey 2, Blackhat, Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Looper, Cloud Atlas, A Good Day to Die Hard, The Amazing Spiderman, Divergent, Pompeii, Iron Man 3, Into the Storm, The Avengers, Battleship, The Invasion, Poseidon, Immortals, Super 8, 2012, Hereafter, 300, Poseidon, and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.
Scanline VFX offers a leading edge creative, collaborative team environment working with brilliant talent from around the globe. Located in the heart of downtown Vancouver, BC the studio is steps from transit, the best in the city's trendy Yaletown dining and Robson high street shopping. On site amenities include a lounge/nightclub with big screen projector tv, pool table and foosball tables, over-sized patios and rooftop deck kitchen & BBQ areas, secure bicycle storage, massage chairs, showers and lockers. Experience fun team events, parties, sporting activities, local business discounts and much more.
Seeking a challenge where you will do the best work of your career?
"FOLLOW" us on linkedin for job board updates.
MODELER – [MID-SENIOR]
Reporting to the Modeling Supervisor, the well rounded modeler will execute poly modeling skills for everything from creating environments, vehicles, props and characters to be used in production with an emphasis on photorealism, accuracy, detail, and function. Working with the in-house modeling pipeline the modeler is able to solve technical issues independently.
- Create high quality models and UVs for use in production; implement improvements/changes based on review feedback and Supervisor/Lead direction.
- Design and implement high level conceptual to practical modeling.
- Proactively recommend ongoing pipeline improvements; Identifies potential issues and provides solutions, and escalates as needed.
- Maintain positive relationship with all stakeholder departments; attend meetings as needed.
- Work within the defined pipeline.
- Ensure continuity and support other asset departments such as texture, lookdev, Generalists and rigging
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- 3+ years’ VFX experience modeling photo realistic assets for live action feature film
- Expert Maya; could teach a class on how to use it and trouble shoot
- Excellent knowledge of Zbrush and/or Mudbox. Mari knowledge (a plus)
- Excellent technical trouble shooting skills and problem solving abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to take design from ambiguous to full design implementation.
- Strong understanding or rigging process and displacement map work flow.
- Experience working on creatures, digi doubles, topology and blend shapes (preferred)
- Eye for detail and able to QA own work to ensure highest quality before handing off assets.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills; experience working under tight deadlines.
- Strong written + verbal communication skills.
- Team player and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR APPLICATION STAND OUT
- APPLY ONLY ONCE.
We keep your resume on file for 6 months so no need to apply again unless there are significant changes or unless you're applying for a different position.
- ALWAYS APPLY WITH THE SAME EMAIL
We want to be able to reach you easily and much of our correspondence is via email and this helps us keep your information together in one file. That way you're not lost in the system.
- Resume - Include in your resume the names of the company's you worked with and the dates you were there. Max 2 pages.
- Cover Letter - tell us a little about yourself and what makes you the ideal candidate.
- Reel Breakdown - demonstrates what you did on each shot and the tools used - Go ahead! Show off your talent/skills here.